The Roster Athletics competition management platform supports multiple simultaneous team competitions in a single meet/meeting, with several team scoring methods available. The general steps for setting up team competitions are as follows:
- Enable team competitions
- Add team competition(s)
- Add the entire set of teams to compete in your team competition(s)
- Assign specific teams to each team competition(s)
- Assign athletes/relay teams to the appropriate teams to enable scoring in the team competition(s)
- Viewing team competition results
Additionally, this guide also covers the following features and information that you may find useful:
Each team competition can have male & female (calculated separately) or mixed gender categories.
The relationship between teams, clubs/schools, and athletes/relay teams are as follows:
- The club/school (and nationality) is a property associated with an athlete/relay team and is first assigned to an athlete/relay in the athlete/relay profile.
- Each team (except for national teams) is generally associated with a specific club/school and is assigned to a club/school in the team profile. Non-affiliated teams can be created in special circumstances, but this is not recommended.
Enable team competitions
To get started, first enable team competitions for your meet/meeting by selecting Details → General → Team Competitions → Enabled and save.
Once you have enabled and saved this setting, you will see two menu options on the far left-hand side under MEETS/MEETINGS appear, Team competitions and Team results.
Click on the Team competitions menu to get to the main team competitions set-up screen.
Add team competition(s)
Click on Add team competition button to add a team competition of your choice to the meet/meeting:
A Create team competition window will pop up where you will assign a team competition scoring method and title to this team competition and Save (note that if the team scoring method is only used once across all the competitions, the Title of the competition can be left blank).
The Roster Athletics platform supports several team scoring methods, which you will find in the drop-down menu. For details on the available methods, press the Team scoring (i) information icon. These scoring breakdowns are also attached at the bottom of this document for reference.
In the screenshots shown here, you will find five separate team competitions in this meet/meeting: the European Athletics National Team Championships between countries consisting of separate men's and women's teams using the European Athletics National Team Championships scoring method and four simultaneous head-to-head dual meets/meetings between club/schools using the US NFHS Rules (6 teams or less) scoring method with all mixed-gender teams.
If the meet/meeting includes at least two team competitions, you can sort them by clicking the Rearrange button and reordering by mouse drag & drop. The ordering of team competitions will also dictate the relative ordering appearance of teams associated with any athletes assigned to multiple teams. This relative ordering appearance for multiple teams associated with athletes, where applicable, can be seen on the start lists, results, PDFs, scoreboards, and in FinishLynx.
There are three methods to add teams to your team competitions.
- Manually add teams: simply press the Add team button in the ALL participating teams section.
An Add team window will pop up, where you can choose your teams. Find a team by typing its name in the search box. If your team is already in the database, click on the blue Add button next to the name of a team to add the team to the list. A set of filters to help you navigate are available and include country, gender (any, male, female, mixed), and affiliation (any, club/school or nation).
After adding a team to the list, you can continue searching and adding the rest of the teams without closing the window.
If you cannot find a team, make sure the spelling is correct or create a new team by clicking on the blue Create new button. For more information on how to add a new team, see the Add a team user guide.
After adding all of the teams to the list, click anywhere outside the Add team window to close the window, and then click on the Save button to save the list of teams.
- Load teams via CSV file upload. Athletes and relay teams can be assigned teams in the CSV, which will then be imported into the meet/meeting. The CSV column designations are TeamName for the name of the team and TeamGender for the team gender (Male, Female or Mixed). You can add extra columns TeamName2 and TeamGender2, TeamName3 and TeamGender3 for any subsequent teams the athlete is also part of. All teams assigned using CSV file will automatically appear in the ALL participating teams list after importing.
See the Add athletes from a CSV file user guide for more details on using the CSV file.
- Auto-add teams, under the three dots menu, is a feature for users who run many meets/meetings and wish to save time by not having to individually add teams and assign teams to each athlete/relay team. This feature can be used for:
- National teams for national competitions where the country teams of all competing athletes and relay teams will be pulled automatically to the ALL participating teams list.
- Club/school teams for club/school competitions if all the following steps have already been taken:
- Club/school are already associated with the athlete or relay team.
In this example, the athlete John Doe is a member of the Roster Athletics club, as seen in the athlete profile (main left-hand side menu OVERVIEW → Athletes → John Doe).
- Teams are already associated with that same club/school.
In this example, the team Roster Athletics is associated with the club Roster Athletics, as seen in the team profile (main left-hand side menu OVERVIEW → Teams → Roster Athletics).
- Designated the associated gender-specific Primary team for the same club if there are multiple teams (if only single teams, automatic designation of Primary takes place).
In this example, the club Roster Athletics has three teams associated with it, as seen in the club/school profile (main left-hand side menu OVERVIEW → Clubs/schools → Roster Athletics).
This club has a Primary team designated for two gender categories: female and male. Our example athlete John Doe will be initially assigned to the male team Roster Athletics when using the Auto-add function.
- Club/school are already associated with the athlete or relay team.
When auto-adding Club/school teams or National teams, you will also need to choose the gender type: either Male & Female or Mixed.
Once you have added all the necessary teams to your competition(s), you will next assign the appropriate teams to each competition that you have created.
Note the number [x] in brackets next to each of the team names in the ALL participating teams list. This number denotes the number of competitions in which the team is participating in for this meet/meeting.
In this example, the United States  means this national team is entered in 1 team competition. The Roster East  team is entered in 3 separate team competitions.
Assign specific teams to each team competition(s)
First, choose the team competition of interest from the Team competitions list on the left-hand side.
You can filter the list of teams in the ALL participating teams frame using the filter icon to help you better sort and view the relevant list of teams for the competition of interest.
There are three methods to assign teams to each team competition:
- Manually add teams to the competition: using the cursor, drag & drop each specific team from the ALL participating teams list in the middle frame to the team competition frame on the right hand.
- Add all teams in the ALL participating teams list to the competition: press the three dots settings button on the far right-hand side of the specific team competition frame and select Add all teams.
Note: the other options for editing the team competition include: Editing the name and scoring methodology, Remove all teams from this team competition, and Delete this team competition.
- Add filtered teams only in the ALL participating teams list to the competition: once you have set a filter, press the three dots settings button on the far right-hand side of the specific team competition frame and select All filtered teams only to the competition. Note that this button becomes active only after you have set a filter.
In this example, the filter consists of Mixed teams only.
Once this filter is set, the button to Add all filtered teams appears, and these three teams are added to the competition when pressed.
The filters stay in place until you change them or leave the page and return to MEETS/MEETINGS → Team competitions, in which case they will be reset to show all teams again.
Note that you can always remove specific teams from the team competition by clicking the trash icon next to the team.
Please note: if you remove a team from the ALL participating teams list, that team will be removed from ALL competitions.
Please note: avoid adding single-gender and mixed teams to the same team competition. This can cause problems with calculating points, for example, when an athlete is assigned to two teams competing on the same team competition.
Assigning athletes and relay teams to teams
There are three different methods for assigning teams to athletes/relay teams.
- Manually assign teams to athletes/relays in the Start list page. Go to MEETS/MEETINGS → Start lists and you will find under each athlete/relay the list of available teams that can be assigned. Please note that each athlete/relay can be a member of multiple teams, which means they will contribute to all the team scores for those teams selected.
- Assign teams to athletes/relays via CSV file upload. Athletes/relays can be assigned teams in the CSV, which will then be imported into the meet/meeting. All teams assigned using CSV file will automatically appear in the ALL participating teams list after importing. See the Add athletes from a CSV file user guide for more details on using the CSV file.
- Auto-add teams to athletes/relays.
- For national competitions, Auto-add teams → National Teams will add the countries associated with each athlete/relay for that category (Male & Female or Mixed) to the teams list and assign the athlete/relay to that nation’s team, if not assigned already.
- For club/school competitions, Auto-add teams → Club/school Teams will add the club/school associated with each athlete/relay (assuming the athlete has the Athlete → Club/school → Primary team designations in place, as described above, in place) to the teams list and assign the athlete to that club/school team, if not assigned already.
Please note the athlete/relay team can be simultaneously part of multiple teams, and therefore multiple team competitions.
To illustrate this, let’s take another look at our example athlete Steven Thomas. If we simply add him to the start list, he will initially have no team association.
Now if we go to Team Competitions and only run auto-add on the club/school (MEETS/MEETINGS → Team Competitions → Auto-add teams → Club/school teams → Male & Female), Steven Thomas will now be automatically assigned to the team Roster Athletics, which is the Primary male team associated with the Roster Athletics Club, as described above. He will thus count in all team competitions with this team.
Next, if we go to Team Competitions and run auto-add on the national teams (MEETS/MEETINGS → Team Competitions → Auto-add teams → National teams → Male & Female), Steven Thomas will now also be automatically added to his country team, United States (male). He will also count in all team competitions with the national team as well.
Thus Steven Thomas now counts in all competitions for his club team, Roster Athletics, and for his national team, the United States.
Please note that the user can change the team assignments on the start list at any time.
Additional view: Teams
On the main Team competitions page, you can use the Teams view by selecting this option from the drop down menu.
The Teams view provides the list of athletes and relay teams for each team and gender.
From the Teams view, you can also directly Add teams as well as Automatically add teams as described in the ADDING TEAMS section above. There is also the option to Delete teams.
Additional view: Participants
On the main Team competitions page, you can select the Participants view by choosing this option from the drop-down menu.
The Participants view lists the athletes and relay teams for each team competition, unassigned athletes and relays, as well as the entire list of athletes and relays for the meet/meeting.
Teams can be assigned to athletes and relay teams in this view, similar to assigning teams on the MEETS/MEETINGS → Start lists page.
All unassigned athletes in the meet/meeting will appear in the Unassigned list on the left-hand side menu.
You can use this view to help ensure that all athletes are properly assigned to the correct teams.
Please note to take precaution when assigning teams. For flexibility, currently, any same gender or mixed team in the team competition can be assigned to any athlete/relay team.
If a problematic conflict is detected, such as an athlete being assigned to two national teams simultaneously in the same competition, an Issues warning will pop up in two places on the page.
Clicking on the Issues button will bring you to the Issues page, where you can find the problem and also resolve it.
In this case, the athlete is incorrectly assigned to both the male United States team and the United Kingdom team. Pressing on the drop down menu will allow you to pick the correct team and thus resolve the issue.
Viewing team competition results
View all team results by going to MEETS/MEETINGS → Team results.
You will find all team competitions listed on the left-hand side, with Men, Women, and Mixed categories where appropriate for each competition. Please note that the gender category scores are calculated independently of each other.
Please note: A mixed-gender individual event results will contribute to Male and Female team scores, respectively. It will also count for any Mixed team scores.
Important note: if you do not see any team results after having entered individual events results (MEETS/MEETINGS → Results), make sure you have pressed the ranking button, saved, and marked the event FINISHED. This will trigger the team scoring calculation for this event.
Please see the Results guides for details for entering results.
The scoring table is listed in order of total points with each contributing event broken out.
Clicking on the individual event will take you to MEETS/MEETINGS → Results → appropriate event so that you may see all the event result details.
Once individual events are ranked, saved, and marked FINISHED, any subsequent change to the individual results can be updated in the team competition scoring results by:
- a.) Update the individual result, b.) Re-rank based on the updated results, and c.) Save these changes.
- Press the Update team scoring button, which will recalculate all team competitions scores. The Clear button can be used to clear all team competition results, for example, if a user is running a test and wants to clear and reset the results.
There are two options for printing team scoring result summaries only: print all the team scoring results [PDF: Team results (all)] or just the results for the gender of the competition you are currently viewing [PDF: Team results (current gender)].
You can also enable the Scoreboard by clicking the upper right-hand side menu option and selecting Scoreboard. For more information, see the Team results scoreboard guide.
Special Case: using multiple age groups in a multi-age group event to count towards team scoring
If the goal is to have multiple age groups in a multi-age group event count towards team scoring, then each age group must be assigned a unique Title (name).
If for example, the meet/meeting has Boys U16 and U18 age groups for the 200m, and both of these age group events need to be counted towards the team score, then one of the 200m age group events must be assigned a unique name in MEETS/MEETINGS → Schedule. Please see the Set schedule guide for more details on changing event names, and the Setting up multiple age group events guide for more details on using multiple age group events.
Team scoring methods
The team scoring method details below can also be found at MEETS/MEETINGS → Team competitions → Add team competition → Team scoring i information icon.
For more detailed information on using the points scoring tables method and age grading factors (if using multiple age groups), see the Using points scoring tables for team competitions user guide.