Instead of adding athletes one at a time, you can add several (or all) athletes at once by using the Import CSV tool. You will find the tool in the left-hand-side of the Details page.
This guide is divided into a few sections below:
- Creating the CSV file
- Importing the CSV file
- Codes for EventCode, EventStage, and AgeGroup fields
- How to open a CSV file in Excel?
Creating the CSV file
You can create the CSV file by organizing your athletes in an Excel spreadsheet. You will need the following columns (the ones in red are mandatory columns):
- EntryId - All athletes and relay teams are numbered sequentially for each meeting (see example below).
- StartListId - All start lists can be numbered in groups with a unique number for each event list. This column is only relevant for mixed start lists and events with multiple age groups, or for relays.
- RelayTeamName - The name of the relay team.
- FullName - The athlete's full name. Note: The first name must always come before the last name.
Note: If FullName is filled out, then FirstName and LastName are no longer mandatory.
- FirstName - The athlete's first name.
- MiddleName - The athlete's middle name.
- LastName - The athlete's last name.
Please capitalize first letter only in first, middle, and last names, except where needed. Example: John Joseph McDonald.
- Gender - The athlete's gender (the only options are Male or Female). If you would like to add a mixed relay or mixed gender competition, please see below.
- CountryCode - Three-letter abbreviation of the country (e.g., USA, FRA, CHN, SWE). You can find the abbreviations for all countries here in the IAAF column: https://admin.rosterathletics.io/admin/country-codes (link is available for users with access to Roster Athletics CMP).
- SchoolGrade - The athlete's grade (only for school meets in the United States). You can find the grade's codes below.
- DateOfBirth - The athlete's date of birth which has to be in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. Note: The Date format is very important! You can use Excel's formatting functionality.
- YearOfBirth - The athlete's year of birth in four digits (e.g., 1995).
- TilastopajaId - The athlete's ID for the Tilastopaja Database.
- RelayId - If a RelayTeamName is added, then you can add the names of the individual runners on the team. Each individual name needs to have a number referring to the EntryID next to the Relay team name (see example below).
- EventStart - The start time of the event. This can be left blank and set after import in Roster Athletics. If added then the format has to be YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS (e.g., 2020-02-14 15:55:00).
- EventCode - Event code. See the list of event codes below. Note that you can use the Roster Athletics event codes or complete event names (for example: 100m Hurdles or 3000m Steeplechase) as the EventCode.
- EventStage - Add event stage which can be Qualification, Preliminary, Heat, SemiFinal, or Final. This can be changed after the import.
- AgeGroup - Athlete's age group. Available age groups are listed below (you can select Auto if you want to automatically assign athletes to the age group based on date/year of birth).
- ClubName - The name of the club or school for which the athlete is competing.
- TeamName - The name of the team (if it is a team competition).
- TeamName2 - If the meeting includes several team competitions (optional)
- TeamName3 - If the meeting includes several team competitions (optional)
- BibNumber - Bib or start number for the athlete.
- PersonalBest - The athlete's personal best. Dividers between cm and meter have to be a ".". The same goes for dividers between seconds and 1/100s. Dividers between hours and minutes and between minutes and seconds have to be a ":".
- SeasonBest - The athlete's season's best.
- Title - The title for an event. Note that when specifying Title, a new event will be created with this title, even if another untitled event exists or otherwise specified in the same file.
- An example of a CSV-file is attached to this article at the bottom of the page.
- If you are using the PZLA uploading functionality, then use the CSV file directly from PZLA.
Remember to not use special characters in the CSV file (i.e., , /comma/, ; /semicolon/ or “ /quotation mark/).
After all of the athletes are saved in your Excel spreadsheet you will need to save it to a CSV format.
Please note: It is very important that you save the file in the UTF-8 CSV format.
We have prepared a list of the most important things you need to remember when preparing a CSV file for uploading entries. You can find it in the Checklist for importing CSV entries guide.
Importing the CSV file
Please note: if you have already have a schedule set in the web admin platform for events and leave the EventStart field blank for those same events during .csv upload, the previous schedule will be changed to default values. To keep the same schedule (or any specific schedule), please make sure to use the EventStart field in the .csv, or change the schedule starts in the web admin platform after loading the .csv.
You can now add the saved CSV file by clicking on the Import start lists button and then choosing Roster format.
Once you have imported a CSV file, you will see a new CSV Import menu option on the far left-hand side. This option will be visible until you change a meeting, upload another file, click the Finished button, or reload the page.
After the import you will see three different marks next to the names of the athletes:
|athlete already exists in the Roster Athletics database and an exact match has been found or is a new athlete that does not exist in the database but will be automatically created.|
|athlete matches with an athlete in the database but isn't an exact match, so check to make sure it is the correct athlete.|
|there is a conflict so you will need to select the athlete that is the correct athlete to match with. If the correct athlete is not found, you will have to create a new athlete (or relay team). Action required by the user! See below.|
Remember to resolve all conflicts and save the start list by clicking on the Import button. After this step, you can go to the start list by clicking on the Start list button.
Please note: you cannot save the start list until all conflicts have been solved (i.e., selecting the correct athlete).
You can create a new athlete or a new relay team by clicking on the iconfor adding a new athlete/relay team.
For example, you have uploaded a CSV start list with two relay teams named "Roster Relay", but one team is number 1 and the other team is number 2. Let's say for purposes of this example that there is only one "Roster Relay" relay team In the Roster database. Therefore, both of your teams will be matched to the existing "Roster Relay" team, resulting in a conflict. To resolve this conflict, you will have to create two new relay teams named "Roster Relay 1" and "Roster Relay 2". See the screenshots below.
Regular Relay Events
When specifying relay teams using the input file, follow these rules, which are shown in the example:
Relay definition line: set an EntryId line with StartListId, RelayTeamName, Gender, CountryCode, EventCode, EventStage, AgeGroup, ClubName (or school name), TeamName (can be assigned when importing).
In the following lines, list each athlete on this team on their own line. They must have the RelayId field set to the EntryId value above. This allows the association between the athlete and team.
Each athlete must have the same StartListId value as the team value set in the Relay definition line.
Each team that is competing in the same relay event must have the same StartListId set in the Relay definition line and following athletes lines. This groups each team into the same relay event. Otherwise separate events will be created.
SPECIAL CASE for mixed gender relay events (separate male and female teams in one event)
If you have an event where separate female and male teams are running in the same event, simply set the StartListId to be the same value for all the teams, and they will all appear in the Start list under the same event.
SPECIAL CASE for 4x400m MIX TEAM mixed gender relay teams and event (male and female athletes together on the same relay team)
The special 4x400m MIXED TEAM relay (or any other mixed team relay, 4x___m MIXED TEAM, with male and female athletes on the same team) designates a relay event where teams are comprised of both male and female athletes on the same relay team (e.g. Bella, Wendy, Steven, and Tom on one relay team). Specify in the CSV upload:
EventCode is 4x400m MIXED TEAM (or other applicable 4x___m MIXED TEAM event code)
Gender for RelayTeamName row is Mixed
Each athlete is Male or Female as appropriate
Set the same RelayID for each athlete as described above for regular relays
SPECIAL CASE for mixed gender individual events
If you want to upload an event which is mixed gender, you will need to add Male or Female for each athlete and give all athletes the same Start List ID (StartListId). In doing so, the start list will be uploaded as a mixed event. See the example below.
Codes for EventCode, EventStage, and AgeGroup fields
Use the following codes for events and age groups:
Event Codes (EventCode)
Event name = code for the CSV file
Please note that either the full Event name or code notation can be used as the EventCode in the CSV file. See the upload sample files for examples on EventCode.
The full list of events and their names is available in the List of events guide.
|Standing High Jump||=||HJS|
|Long Jump (Zone)||=||LJZ|
|Standing Long Jump||=||LJs|
|Triple Jump (Zone)||=||TJZ|
|Standing Triple Jump||=||TJs|
|Javelin Throw (Old Model)||=||JTOLD|
|1000m Race Walking||=||1000W|
|One Mile Race Walking||=||MileW|
|2000m Race Walking||=|
|3000m Race Walking||=||3000W|
|5000m Race Walking||=||5000W|
|10000m Race Walking||=||10000W|
|10km Race Walking||=||10W|
|20000m Race Walking||=||20000W|
|20km Race Walking||=||20W|
|30km Race Walking||=|
|35km Race Walking||=|
|50km Race Walking||=||50W|
|4x40m MIX||=||4x40m MIXED TEAM|
|4x60m MIX||=||4x60m MIXED TEAM|
|4x80m MIX||=||4x80m MIXED TEAM|
|4x100m MIX||=||4x100m MIXED TEAM|
|4x400m MIX||=||4x400m MIXED TEAM|
|4x800m MIX||=||4x800m MIXED TEAM|
|4x1500m MIX||=||4x1500m MIXED TEAM|
|Sprint Medley Relay||=||4xSPRMED|
|Distance Medley Relay||=||4xDISMED|
Event stage (EventStage)
Age groups (AgeGroup)
Age group = code for the CSV file
Age group = Auto (select if you want to automatically assign athletes to the age group based on date/year of birth)
Youth and senior
U8 = Meeting_8
U10 = Meeting_10
U12 = Meeting_12
U14 = Meeting_14
U16 = Meeting_16
U18 = Meeting_18
U20 = Meeting_20
U23 = Meeting_23
Senior = Senior
M30 = Master_30
M35 = Master_35
M40 = Master_40
M45 = Master_45
M50 = Master_50
M55 = Master_55
M60 = Master_60
M65 = Master_65
M70 = Master_70
M75 = Master_75
M80 = Master_80
M85 = Master_85
M90 = Master_90
M95 = Master_95
M100 = Master_100
1st grade = School_1
2nd grade = School_2
3rd grade = School_3
4th grade = School_4
5th grade = School_5
6th grade = School_6
7th grade = School_7
8th grade = School_8
9th grade = School_9
10th grade = School_10
11th grade = School_11
12th grade = School_12
School grade = code for the CSV file
Kindergarten = K
1st grade = 1
2nd grade = 2
3rd grade = 3
4th grade = 4
5th grade = 5
6th grade = 6
7th grade = 7
8th grade = 8
9th grade = 9
10th grade = 10
11th grade = 11
12th grade = 12
Freshman = FR
Sophomore = SO
Junior = JR
Senior = SR