The Roster Athletics Consumer app is the main interface for fans, athletes, and coaches to engage with your meet and brings many new, innovative and fun features to better follow and experience the sport. This user guide covers the main features of the app but we highly encourage you to download the app and explore all of the features on your own.
The app works hand-in-hand in conjunction with Roster’s cloud platform, and you can view the applicable user guides for details on how to control each app feature for your meet, from start lists and events set-up to real-time live results by integrating a Fully Automatic Timing (FAT) system or through Roster’s Meet Mgmt app.
This guide is divided into a few sections below:
- Downloading the app
- Finding your competitions of interest
- In the meeting:
- General app features and settings:
DOWNLOADING THE APP
The Roster Athletics app is available on both the iOS app store for Apple iPhone and iPad devices here and Google Play app store for Android devices here. Note that in addition to the main Roster Athletics app, there is a second app, Roster Athletics Meet Mgmt app, that is targeted for organizers for live field results entry. Please see the Meet Mgmt user guides for more information.
The Roster Athletics app currently has support for the following languages, based on the location setting of your device: US and UK English, Danish, Polish, French, Swedish, Spanish, German, Italian and Japanese.
Log In for the first time
Once the app is downloaded, you will see 3 options for using the app:
- Log In with Google - use any of your associated Google accounts on the Roster app
- Log In with Facebook - use your Facebook account on the Roster app
- Anonymous account - allows you to use the app as an anonymous guest user, but please be aware that all account information is tied to the current session, and thus if the app needs to be re-downloaded at any time or you log out, no information is saved and you will not be able to access this account again. This affects your fantasy ROSTER as well as any LOBBIES groups that you are part of and you will be starting over should you need to reinstall the app. Note that you can link your anonymous account to a Google or Facebook account through the Settings menu in the app (described below).
We will first review the main features on the app and then cover the important settings later in the guide.
FINDING YOUR COMPETITIONS OF INTEREST
The app starts with the Meetings page and this is where you will find all of your competitions. There are 3 categories to find your meetings on the main page, as well as access to the settings menu.
- FEATURED meetings are shown as the default view. These are typically the biggest meetings from around the world that are upcoming and accessible in the Roster app.
- FOLLOWED meetings can be viewed by pressing the button. These are meetings that you are interested in and you designate to follow. You can add any meeting to the followed list by simply going into a meeting and pressing the FOLLOW button on the main DETAILS page. All of your followed meetings will show up in your FOLLOWED tab. To remove a meeting from your followed list, press the 3 dots menu on the upper right hand side and select the Unfollow meet option.
- SEARCH meetings by going to the magnifying glass icon in the upper right-hand corner. Here, you can find meetings by typing into the search box the name of any meeting that is on the Roster platform. This includes all upcoming meetings as well as any past meetings in which you wish to view. Follow the meeting as mentioned above should you be interested in that particular competition for easy access of the meeting going forward.
IN THE MEETING: VIEWING RESULTS
Once you are in a meeting, you will be in the main DETAILS page. You can FOLLOW the meet from here if you wish. This page contains the entire events list and schedule for the meeting, sorted by time. Note that once the start lists are loaded by the organizer, you will be able to see the competing athletes in the events. To use the search function, either scroll or type in the search box to find an event. The search box can also be used to find an athlete by name and all of their participating events in the competition. When the scheduled time of the event takes place, you will see a LIVE tag next to the event. Once an event is complete, you will see a finished medals tag by the event.
All heats and preliminary rounds, when applicable, are shown in the list view in addition to the finals. All age groups, when applicable, are also shown and listed separately. When multiple heats or multiple age groups are taking place, then a Summary event will be listed in order to view the aggregated results for that round.
Pressing an event brings you to the results page for that event. Here you will see real-time results for track events as they are updated through automatic timing and for field events as they are updated through Roster’s Meet Mgmt app.
Displayed information includes (when available):
- Result (track events): place, time, wind, reaction time, lane, PB/SB, Q/q
- Result (field events): place, mark, each attempt (Show more toggle), PB/SB, wind (LJ/TJ), Q/q
- Medals signifying 1st (gold) / 2nd (silver) / 3rd (bronze) places when the event final is complete (Ribbons are shown for extra place winners, if enabled).
- Athlete information including picture, country, past results, Wikipedia profile when available.
IN THE MEETING: FEED
The FEED tab is a chat and real-time communications tool allowing the organizer and fans/athletes to interact with each other. The organizer can write feed comments into the app through Roster’s web admin - these comments are then viewable by everyone in the meeting. The organizer can provide commentary for the meet, make announcements, highlight results, add videos (live streaming, highlights, interviews, features, etc.) and pictures for a direct and much richer audience engagement experience. In addition, fans can also comment to the FEED and ask questions, etc.
IN THE MEETING: SPONSOR
The app supports highlighting a meeting sponsor through the SPONSOR tab as an option. Through Roster’s web admin, organizers can add sponsor details such as pictures, description, and web-link, which allows app users to easily view information about the sponsor or organization. Note that sponsor information and highlights can also be supplemented through the meeting FEED, with commentary, pictures, and videos.
IN THE MEETING: THE FANTASY GAME
Roster’s Fantasy game, on the app using the ROSTER tab, is a fun way for fans to engage with the organizer’s meetings. Players choose a team of athletes based on a budget prior to the competition and score points based on the results for the chosen team. Play against the global leaderboard or with just your friends using Roster LOBBIES (see below).
The Organizers can easily enable the Roster Fantasy game for their competition through the Roster web admin. If enabled, the organizer can then set the total team budget. The price of athletes are automatically computed by Roster based on an algorithm using their past results and other information.
Once the start lists are released, the user selects a team based on choosing an athlete for each category: Sprint Female, Sprint Male, Distance Female, Distance Male, Jump Female, Jump Male, Throw Female, and Throw Male - all making sure the user stays within the given budget. The user can also select a team captain that will score double points based on their result.
Points are scored based on the result placing of each category, as well as bonus points for WR, MR, PB, and SB. Please see the Game Rules in the app for more details (upper right corner 3 dots menu once inside a meeting).
To view the results for a meeting, go to the medal stand on the upper right hand side of the ROSTER tab page. The top 100 players and scores are listed. Once the competition is over, you will be able to see each of the top 100 player’s team and athlete selections.
IN THE MEETING: LOBBIES
Lobbies are groups of your friends to play along with in your own private setting. Go to the LOBBIES tab to see the list of your lobbies. You can create a new lobby or be invited into an existing lobby. To create a new lobby, press the plus symbol and enter in a new lobby name.
Once you’ve created a lobby, you are thus the lobby owner and you can share the lobby with your friends through the upper right-hand corner 3 dots settings menu.
In each of your private lobbies (groups), you are able to see the Fantasy RANKINGS within your group for the current meeting, as well the ability to CHAT and have fun some banter and trash-talk amongst your friends.
Once created or joined, all of your groups are automatically displayed for every meeting that has the Fantasy game enabled. To leave a lobby, go to the LOBBIES tab and the 3 dots setting and choose Leave lobby.
IN THE MEETING: LIVE STREAMING
The app supports live streaming of competitions through professional HLS streams and YouTube Live Streams. These are enabled through simply entering the stream links in the Roster web admin platform. If the organizer has the rights to stream the event and either of these streaming formats, anyone can follow and watch the competition on the app.
YouTube Live Streams appear in the FEED, as well as other YouTube video links.
GENERAL APP FEATURES AND SETTINGS
On the main Meetings screen, you will see the app settings menu on the upper left-hand side (burger 3 lines icon). Once pressed, you will the following options:
- MEETINGS (default) - described above
- NEWS FEED
- INVITE - invite your friends through your phone communications tools
The app NEWS FEED is a general discussion chat between Roster Athletics and app users. We use this FEED to share interesting news and information from the athletics and track & field world, including upcoming meetings, news from EME News, interesting stories and performances, including pictures and videos. The chat also allows app users to comment or ask questions for an interactive experience.
Notifications: The user can choose a set of notification options in the app if on Android, which are enabled by default. The iOS version requires the user to go to the phone Settings -> Notifications -> Roster menu to adjust the desired notification settings.
Note that on Android, the user can also disable meet specific notifications from each meeting’s DETAILS page (Disable result notifications, Disable feed notifications) and each individual lobby -> LOBBIES (Disable chat notifications).
Use imperial units (ft-in): One of the main app settings is the ability to switch between metric and imperial-English ft-in measurement systems for displaying results within the app.
Link account: If you have signed in with an anonymous account, you may wish to switch to a linked Google or Facebook account in order to keep all the settings of your current account, including Followed meetings, Fantasy results and Lobbies.
Show all hints again: the app provides useful hints for first time users. The user can choose to enable these hints again by selecting this option.
Log out: Logs you out of the current account. Note that logging out of an anonymous account without linking the account will remove all information associated with the anonymous account.