The Roster Athletics Consumer app is the main interface for fans, athletes, and coaches to engage with your meet and brings many new, innovative and fun features to better follow and experience the sport. This user guide covers the main features of the app but we highly encourage you to download the app and explore all of the features on your own.
The app works hand-in-hand in conjunction with Roster’s cloud platform, and you can view the applicable user guides for details on how to control each app feature for your meet, from start lists and events set-up to real-time live results by integrating a Fully Automatic Timing (FAT) system or through Roster’s Meet Mgmt app.
This guide is divided into a few sections below:
- Downloading the app
- Finding your competitions of interest
- In the meeting:
- General app features and settings:
DOWNLOADING THE APP
The Roster Athletics app is available on both the iOS app store for Apple iPhone and iPad devices here and Google Play app store for Android devices here. Note that in addition to the main Roster Athletics app, there is a second app, Roster Athletics Meet Mgmt app, that is targeted for organizers for live field results entry. Please see the Meet Mgmt user guides for more information.
The Roster Athletics app currently has support for the following languages, based on the location setting of your device: US and UK English, Danish, Polish, French, Swedish, Spanish, German, Italian, and Japanese.
Log In for the first time
When using the app for the first time after downloading or re-installing, the user will have the option to sign in (or create an account) as a regular user, or use an anonymous guest account.
The guest account provides basic access to meetings and results, and the ability to play the Roster fantasy game as an anonymous player. Please be aware the guest account has limitations, such as not being able to participate in the global NEWS FEED and meeting chat FEEDs (i.e. read but not write), and not being able to create or join LOBBIES groups with friends. Please also be aware that all account information for this anonymous account is tied to the current session, and thus if the app needs to be re-downloaded at any time or you log out, no information is saved and you will not be able to access this account again. This affects your fantasy ROSTER and history of meetings you have FOLLOWED. You will be starting over should you need to reinstall the app. Note that you can link your anonymous guest account to a regular sign-in account through the Settings menu in the app (described below) at any time.
To get started as a regular user, you will first be asked a few questions in order to comply with privacy regulations in your region, based on country and age, as well as going through the Terms of service.
Certain features are disabled for underage users, such as the chat FEED functionality, and the ability to join group LOBBIES.
You will see 3 options for signing into the app:
- Continue with Apple - use your Apple account on the Roster app
- Continue with Google - use any of your associated Google accounts on the Roster app
- Continue with Facebook - use your Facebook account on the Roster app
We will first review the main features on the app and then cover the important settings later in the guide.
FINDING YOUR COMPETITIONS OF INTEREST
The app starts with the Meetings page and this is where you will find all of your competitions. There are 3 categories to find your meetings on the main page, as well as access to the settings menu.
- FEATURED meetings are shown as the default view. These are typically the biggest meetings from around the world that are upcoming and accessible in the Roster app.
- FOLLOWED meetings can be viewed by pressing the button. These are meetings that you are interested in and you designate to follow. You can add any meeting to the followed list by simply going into a meeting and pressing the FOLLOW button on the main DETAILS page. All of your followed meetings will show up in your FOLLOWED tab. To remove a meeting from your followed list, press the 3 dots menu on the upper right hand side and select the Unfollow meet option.
- SEARCH meetings by going to the magnifying glass icon in the upper right-hand corner. Here, you can find meetings by typing into the search box the name of any meeting that is on the Roster platform. This includes all upcoming meetings as well as any past meetings in which you wish to view. Follow the meeting as mentioned above should you be interested in that particular competition for easy access of the meeting going forward.
IN THE MEETING: VIEWING RESULTS
Once you are in a meeting, you will be in the main DETAILS page. You can FOLLOW the meet from here if you wish. This page contains the entire events list and schedule for the meeting, sorted by time and scrollable. Note that once the start lists are loaded by the organizer, you will be able to see the competing athletes in the events.
All heats and preliminary rounds, when applicable, are shown in the list view in addition to the finals. Multiple age groups, when applicable, will have summaries listed by default, with specific age breakdowns accessible through the Show more expansion button. When multiple heats or multiple age groups are taking place, then a Summary event will be listed in order to view the aggregated results for that round.
When the scheduled time of the event occurs and the event is in action, you will see a LIVE sign above the event as well as a yellow background. Once an event is completed with available results, you will see a check mark symbol by the event and a white background.
There are 2 main methods to help you customize your viewing experience and find your specific information of interest:
- Search for an event or athlete - type in the search box to find an athlete or event. The search box can be used to find an athlete by name and all of their participating events and start times in the competition. Events are also similarly searchable, including event names, gender, and stage.
- Filters events when viewing in DETAILS - Viewing filters can be set for each meeting by the filter logo at right edge of the search box. Filter include Gender, Events, Event stage, Age group, and Day of competition. Filters that you set will be present for this specific meeting only, and will be applicable until you change/unmark the filters or press the Clear filters button at the bottom of the Filter event screen. You can set a filter for the specific event, and also the event category (Sprint, Distance, Jump, etc.) as well.
Please note: the color of the filter logo will indicate whether or not a filter has been set for this meeting: white logo = no filters being used; blue logo = a filter has been set.
Pressing an event brings you to the results page for that event. Here you will see real-time results for track events as they are updated through automatic timing and for field events as they are updated through Roster’s Meet Mgmt app.
Displayed information includes (when available):
- Result (track events): place, time or DQ/DNF/DNS status, wind, reaction time, lane, PB/SB, QR/qR (result from the previous round), Q/q.
- Result (field events): place, mark or NM/DQ/DNS status, each attempt (Show more toggle), PB/SB, QR/qR (result from the previous round), wind (LJ/TJ), Q/q.
- Bib numbers,
- Club/school or team names,
- Medals signifying 1st (gold) / 2nd (silver) / 3rd (bronze) places when the event final is complete (Ribbons are shown for extra place winners if enabled).
- Athlete information including picture, country, past results, Wikipedia profile when available.
Note that when viewing Q/q's, you will see dynamic q's with a yellow background and finalized q's in blue. The yellow dynamic q's indicate the currently placed qualifiers while the action is unfolding in real time, and can change based on the latest results as they happen. Once the event is completed, the qualifiers will be listed with the blue Q/q's.
To quickly follow events that are currently live in the meeting, click on the LIVE button on the upper right hand side:
The LIVE icon will only appear for meetings that are currently active.
IN THE MEETING: FEED
The FEED tab is a chat and real-time communications tool allowing the organizer and fans/athletes to interact with each other. The organizer can write feed comments into the app through Roster’s web admin - these comments are then viewable by everyone in the meeting. The organizer can provide commentary for the meet, make announcements, highlight results, add videos (live streaming, highlights, interviews, features, etc.) and pictures for a direct and much richer audience engagement experience. In addition, fans can also comment to the FEED and ask questions, etc.
IN THE MEETING: SPONSOR
The app supports highlighting a meeting sponsor through the SPONSOR tab as an option. Through Roster’s web admin, organizers can add sponsor details such as pictures, description, and web-link, which allows app users to easily view information about the sponsor or organization. Note that sponsor information and highlights can also be supplemented through the meeting FEED, with commentary, pictures, and videos.
IN THE MEETING: THE FANTASY GAME
Roster’s Fantasy game, on the app using the ROSTER tab, is a fun way for fans to engage with the organizer’s meetings. Players choose a team of athletes based on a budget prior to the competition and score points based on the results for the chosen team. Play against the global leaderboard or with just your friends using Roster LOBBIES (see below).
The Organizers can easily enable the Roster Fantasy game for their competition through the Roster web admin. If enabled, the organizer can then set the total team budget. The price of athletes are automatically computed by Roster based on an algorithm using their past results and other information.
Once the start lists are released, the user selects a team based on choosing an athlete for each category: Sprint Female, Sprint Male, Distance Female, Distance Male, Jump Female, Jump Male, Throw Female, and Throw Male - all making sure the user stays within the given budget. The user can also select a team captain that will score double points based on their result.
Points are scored based on the result placing of each category, as well as bonus points for WR, MR, PB, and SB. Please see the Game Rules in the app for more details (upper right corner 3 dots menu once inside a meeting).
To view the results for a meeting, go to the medal stand on the upper right hand side of the ROSTER tab page. The top 100 players and scores are listed. Once the competition is over, you will be able to see each of the top 100 player’s team and athlete selections.
IN THE MEETING: LOBBIES
Lobbies are groups of your friends to play along with in your own private setting. Go to the LOBBIES tab to see the list of your lobbies. You can create a new lobby or be invited into an existing lobby. To create a new lobby, press the plus symbol and enter in a new lobby name.
Once you’ve created a lobby, you are thus the lobby owner and you can share the lobby with your friends through the upper right-hand corner 3 dots settings menu.
In each of your private lobbies (groups), you are able to see the Fantasy RANKINGS within your group for the current meeting, as well the ability to CHAT and have fun some banter and trash-talk amongst your friends.
Once created or joined, all of your groups are automatically displayed for every meeting that has the Fantasy game enabled. To leave a lobby, go to the LOBBIES tab and the 3 dots setting and choose Leave lobby.
IN THE MEETING: LIVE STREAMING
The app supports live streaming of competitions through professional HLS streams and YouTube Live Streams. These are enabled through simply entering the stream links in the Roster web admin platform. If the organizer has the rights to stream the event and either of these streaming formats, anyone can follow and watch the competition on the app.
YouTube Live Streams appear in the FEED, as well as other YouTube video links.
GENERAL APP FEATURES AND SETTINGS
On the main Meetings screen, you will see the app settings menu on the upper left-hand side (burger 3 lines icon). Once pressed, you will the following options:
- MEETINGS (default) - described above
- NEWS FEED
- INVITE - invite your friends through your phone communications tools
The app NEWS FEED is a general discussion chat between Roster Athletics and app users. We use this FEED to share interesting news and information from the athletics and track & field world, including upcoming meetings, news from EME News, interesting stories and performances, including pictures and videos. The chat also allows app users to comment or ask questions for an interactive experience.
Notifications: The user can choose a set of notification options in the app if on Android, which are enabled by default. The iOS version requires the user to go to the phone Settings → Notifications → Roster menu to adjust the desired notification settings.
Note that on Android, the user can also disable meet specific notifications from each meeting’s DETAILS page (Disable result notifications, Disable feed notifications) and each individual lobby → LOBBIES (Disable chat notifications).
Use imperial units (ft-in): One of the main app settings is the ability to switch between metric and imperial-English ft-in measurement systems for displaying results within the app.
Link account: If you have signed in with an anonymous account, you may wish to switch to a linked Google or Facebook account in order to keep all the settings of your current account, including Followed meetings, Fantasy results and Lobbies.
Show all hints again: the app provides useful hints for first time users. The user can choose to enable these hints again by selecting this option.
Log out: Logs you out of the current account. Note that logging out of an anonymous account without linking the account will remove all information associated with the anonymous account.
Delete account: completely deletes and removes your account from Roster. You will be asked to sign up again as a new user the next time you use the app.